Wednesday, May 18, 2011

bed time...

When Andy was born I took care of his bedtimes and Josh took care of Noah's. We had a little joke of saying to one another "You got yours? I got mine?!" Then we would boast a bit as to who's 'kid' was asleep first. Then Andy got older and quit nursing, then really just had one over on us both. We would literally stay in his room sitting there watching him til he fell asleep, because if you dare just step outside of his room he would literally throw up everywhere instantaneously. It was gross and just not fun. Fast forward til a couple of months ago. Josh and I were just worn down and Andy was winning. Finally we said, enough is enough, and we told Andy the new plan, that he would have to stay in bed in his room by himself, or we would shut the door. Period. Amazingly it immediately worked. Josh took over Andy duties and I got the sweet joy of Noah. I was so happy to read Noah stories, say prayers with him and cuddle. Noah has been a dream getting to sleep since he was about 15 months old. He goes to sleep quickly and stays there til he is asleep. He also likes to go to bed early. Andy is a night owl, takes forever to go to sleep and is a light sleeper. So... there have been some nights lately where I am the one putting both boys down... Josh has been busy getting our new house move in ready! (My Dad and I have too, but during the day!) Tonight Andy is like a jack in the box with me, up and out of bed, every five minutes. I went to check on him once and he was not even in his room. He was in my bathroom. I asked him what he was doing and he responded "Ust looking at stuff" as he meddled with my contact vials. Then I watched him sneak a piece of cheese out of the fridge then run back to his room. And just now I went in to talk to him again (because sadly shutting the door is not working tonight because he figured out how to take off the child knob) and he said, "Noah's eyes are closed, he is nice. My eyes open, I rude. See Mama I nice now" and he shut his little eyes and squeezed them tight. Sigh. Oh, I hear him in the hall again - wish me luck!!!! :)

p.s. I really love bedtime with Andy too, he gives such sweet kisses and hugs and has to say with purpose good night, I love you and loves loves loves to sing me "Goodnight Sweetheart, it's time to go, I hate to leave you but I really must say, goodnight sweetheart good night" and it sounds like "good night schweetheart its time to go i hate to leave but i must stay, good night schweetheart good night." It is one of the best moments of the day, but writing the above note I was just tired because I had repeated that part at least 20 times already:)

1 comment:

Carol W. said...

Aww went through that with Kelton, I felt I spent half the night putting him to bed and the rest making sure he stayed there. It took a few months of sleepless nights and taking turns but evently it worked. Now he goes to bed by himself! Good Luck